What Is Needed to Get a Foreign Bride a Visa to the USA
Many men who want to marry a foreign girl ask the same question, “Are mail order spouse illegal?” The answer is simple — of course, they are not! However, it does not mean that you can just take someone to another country and say something like, “Hey, I’m going to marry her so, you know, you should let her in” — your mail order bride needs a visa, 1-k visa, to be exact. What do you need to do to get it? All the answers can be found below.
What exactly is K-1 visa for mail order bride?
As you have probably guessed, K-1 is a visa a foreign bride needs to live in the US. Obtaining it is a fast and relatively simple way to become a permanent resident. It is often associated with foreign brides men can meet on top mail order bride sites, but it is not only for wives men meet on dating websites but also for people who met each other during vacation/business trip, etc. In other, it works well for all foreign citizens who are going to get married to an American man or woman. To begin the process, you need to file this petition.
Requirements for Americans and non-Americans who are going to get married
Yes, you both need to meet certain requirements to have your bride’s visa approved. What are they? Let us take a look.
Requirements for a future husband
The first requirement is pretty obvious — you need to be a US citizen to apply for a K-1 visa. You can prove it by providing your birth certificate or passport.
You also need to prove that you earn enough to support a foreign citizen in the US by submitting form below. Please note that there is a minimum amount you need to earn or own to have a right to obtain this visa. But, in practice, you need to have at least 125% of this amount.
Requirements for a foreign bride
Applicants (foreign citizens who are going to marry an American,) in turn, need to meet the following requirements:
- An applicant must live in another country. People who already live in America cannot apply for this visa.
- An applicant can obtain a visa only if he/she has no criminal records (there are some exceptions to this rule.)
- An applicant needs to prove that he/she has never violated American immigration laws.
- An applicant must be healthy, i.e., have no communicable disease that could pose a risk to other people.
As you can see, there is nothing unexpected or extraordinary — just a basic set of documents needed to prove that your mail order bride is not a threat and that she needs this visa.
Requirements for both of you — prove that you are in love!
We bet you know that sometimes foreigners marry a US citizen not because they are in love but because of the green card. The purpose of the immigration service is not to let it happen. That is why there are some additional requirements for couples.
- Did you meet in person? Yes, you cannot take someone to America if you did not even meet each other at least once during 2 last years. You can describe your meeting in detail, provide photos, videos, take copies of tickets — provide any proofs.
- Are both of you single? Of course, both of you must be single, divorced, or widowed.
- Are you really going to get married? If you apply for this visa, you will confirm that you will get married within 3 months after your bride arrives in the country. You need to provide a declaration, wedding checks, invitations, etc., anything that would prove that you are going to start a family.
Simply put, you need to confirm that your relationship is real by providing any proofs from photos to tickets.
Limitations to be aware of
There are a few more important things you should consider before filling in the petition form:
- The petition is valid only for 4 months after approval. Hence, you need to apply for a visa during this term.
- Mail order bride can come to the US within the next 6 months. On the expiry of this time limit, she will not be able to enter the country.
- This visa is used once, when someone enters the country.
- After you apply for this visa and get married, your spouse will be able to apply for a green card.
Of course, taking someone to the US is not a piece of cake. It is a long and a complicated process, and we recommend you get legal advice before you get started to make sure that you did not miss anything important.